Military Interpreter: Musician 100th Regiment of Foot 1815
Period of Job Being Offered: 30 hours per week mostly Thursday to Sunday over a nine-week period between June 22nd and August 20th.
Work location: The majority of work takes place outdoors on Parliament Hill and at the Ottawa Locks and may occasionally work at other locations.
Hourly rates of pay: The hourly rate is $11.50.
Tasks: To interpret the role of an early 19th-century British drummer, fifer or bugler by playing period music on a rope-tension snare drum, fife or bugle; executing military drills and manoeuvres; providing lectures to visitors; and participating in historical dramatizations and parades in a period uniform.
1. Participates in daily training routines and solo and group musical demonstrations.
2. Provides lectures and interpretation to visitors at the Ottawa Locks and the War of 1812 Monument on Parliament Hill.
3. Maintains personal uniform and equipment by regular shining and cleaning.
4. Participates in routine and special ceremonial parade functions.
5. Performs other duties as required.
1. Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
2. Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
3. Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
4. Able to proficiently play either a snare drum, fife or bugle and to quickly memorize music.
1. Previous experience in dealing with the public, customer service, guided tours, heritage interpretation, group animation or tourism.
2. Experience in a marching band.
3. Experience as a senior Sea, Army, or Air Cadet having attained a minimum cadet rank of Petty Officer 1st Class, Warrant Officer, or Flight Sergeant
Furthermore, successful candidates must:
1. Wear and maintain a uniform;
2. Be willing and able to work variable schedule that includes weekends, and statutory holidays;
3. Work outdoors in various weather conditions;
4. Attend mandatory paid training at the beginning of employment.