Enlist for the summer as a Private Solider in the 100th Regiment’s Grenadier or Light Infantry company.
You will bring history to life for the public in an historically accurate uniform while being payed to interpret the role of a soldier in the British Army stationed in Canada in 1815. Employment is for an 8-week period at $14.10 / hour with a minimum of 30 hours per week. Schedule is mostly 930am to 5pm Thursday to Sunday and will start after June 24th, 2019.
The majority of work will take place outdoors around the Ottawa area including Parliament Hill, the Ottawa Locks, and Goulbourn Museum with other locations to be confirmed.
Tasks: To interpret the role of an early 19th-century British soldier by executing military drills and manoeuvres; provide lectures to visitors; participate in historical dramatizations and parades in a period uniform; and conduct research of historical documents.
1) Participates in daily training routines and demonstrations of foot and arms drill, formation drills, firearms demonstrations, duty training, and military etiquette.
2) Provides lectures and interpretation to visitors at events, the Ottawa Locks, and the War of 1812 Monument on Parliament Hill.
3) Maintains personal uniform and equipment by regular shining and cleaning.
4) Participates in routine and special ceremonial parade functions.
5) Performs other duties as required.
1. Must meet eligibility criteria as per Canada Summer Job Guidelines;
2. Must meet all requirements of the position.
- Previous experience in dealing with the public, customer service, guided tours, heritage interpretation, group animation or tourism.
- Experience as a Sea, Army, or Air Cadet.
Furthermore, successful candidates must:
- Wear and maintain a uniform;
- Be willing and able to work variable schedule that includes weekends, and statutory holidays;
- Work outdoors in various weather conditions;
An assessment and interview will be administrated.