Military Interpreter: Private
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 5pm APRIL 16th, 2018.
Period of Job Being Offered: 30 hours per week working mostly 930am to 5pm Thursday to Sunday over a six to twelve week period. Exact start and end dates to be confirmed.
Work location: The majority of work takes place outdoors on Parliament Hill and at the Ottawa Locks. Other locations to be confirmed.
Hourly rates of pay: The hourly rate is $14.10.
Tasks: To interpret the role of an early 19th-century British soldier by executing military drills and manoeuvres; provide lectures to visitors; participate in historical dramatizations and parades in a period uniform; and conduct research of historical documents.
- Participates in daily training routines and demonstrations of foot and arms drill, formation drills, firearms demonstrations, duty training, and military etiquette.
- Provides lectures and interpretation to visitors at events, the Ottawa Locks, and the War of 1812 Monument on Parliament Hill.
- Maintains personal uniform and equipment by regular shining and cleaning.
- Participates in routine and special ceremonial parade functions.
- Performs research.
- Performs other duties as required.
Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Previous experience in dealing with the public, customer service, guided tours, heritage interpretation, group animation or tourism.
Experience as a Sea, Army, or Air Cadet.
Furthermore, successful candidates must:
Wear and maintain a uniform;
Be willing and able to work variable schedule that includes weekends, and statutory holidays;
Work outdoors in various weather conditions;
Attend mandatory paid training at the beginning of employment.