Bringing History to Life in Canada's Capital
Established in 2013 and based in Ottawa, Ontario, the 100th Regiment of Foot recreates an actual British Army Regiment from the Napoleonic War period.
The regiment's members are dressed and equipped in a manner that accurately reflects the original unit during the years 1813 to 1815.
The 100th Regiment has the unique opportunity to perform early 19th century military drills, musket firing, and music for visitors from all over the world right in the heart of Canada's capital.
Active throughout the year, the regiment spends much of the summer months on Parliament Hill and the adjacent Rideau Canal’s Ottawa Locks located downtown next to the Chateau Laurier. The Rideau Canal is both a National Historic Site of Canada and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
When not on Parliament Hill or at the Ottawa Locks, the regiment attends community events, parades, heritage days, and re-enactments.
The regiment's members are volunteers who take part in activities year round and enjoy history, meeting new people, and having fun.
During the summer, the regiment also employs summer students who work four days a week as military interpreters representing soldiers of the 100th Regiment.
Connection with Ottawa
In 1818, many of the disbanded members of the regiment chose to stay in Canada. Of those who decided to stay, a large portion took their land grants in a new military settlement on the Jock River in North Eastern Upper Canada. There they established the Village of Richmond which is now part of the City of Ottawa.
These new settlers landed near the area where the Canadian War Museum now stands and setup camp. There they left their families and proceeded towards their new settlement cutting the Richmond Road.
Today you can visit the area where the settlers first landed, drive the Richmond Road, and visit the Village of Richmond where many of the streets are named after officers of the regiment. Many descendants of the original members of the regiment still live and work in the Ottawa area.
Photo James Park / Ottawa Citizen